A boil is an infection that occurs on a hair follicle or an oil gland. Boil is also known as skin abscess. The infected skin turns red and afterwards a small bump develops. In 4 to 7 days the bump turns white because pus starts to build up under the skin. Boils are hard and large pimples which are filled with pus. Boils can appear on any parts of the body, but the common areas are on the arms, neck, chest, thighs, face, shoulders, area around the vagina and buttocks. If a boil occurs on the eyelid, then it is called as a sty. There are many reasons due to which boil occurs, such as ingrown hair, lack of nutrients, poor hygiene, exposure to harsh chemicals, foreign objects and certain illnesses like kidney failure or diabetes. Boils are painful and can be treated easily. Here in this article, we have some remedies that will help you to treat a boil.
Symptoms of Boil:
- Inflamed skin
- Boil gets bigger in size
Causes of a Boil:
- Poor hygiene
- Exposure to harsh chemicals that may irritate the skin.
- Lack of nutrition
- Problems with the immune system
- Ingrown hair
Best Remedies to Treat a Boil:
1.) Warm Compress to Get Rid of a Boil Fast
By using heat applications you can easily get rid of a boil. Applying a warm compress on the affected skin helps to increase blood circulation and allow the white blood cells and antibodies to fight the infection.
Steps to Use Warm Compress to Treat a Boil at Home:
- Heat some water and soak a cloth in this warm water.
- Wring out the excess water and apply it on the boil.
- Do this method repeatedly throughout the day until the pus drains out.
- Clean the area properly and apply a medicated ointment to prevent infection.
2.) Neem or Indian Lilac to Get Relief from a Boil Naturally
Neem is also known as margosa and the natural antibacterial and antiseptic properties in neem helps to cure boils.
Steps to Use Neem to Cure a Boil Naturally:
- Make a paste by grinding a handful of neem leaves.
- Add some turmeric powder to this paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected area and leave it for half an hour before washing it.
- Do this method few times a day.
- Another method is to boil a handful of neem leaves in some water until the water evaporates.
- Allow it to cool this solution.
- Rinse the infected area with this neem water few times a day.
3.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat a Boil Naturally and Fast
Tea tree oil is the best natural remedy for treating boils as it contains strong antifungal, antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
Steps to Use Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of a Boil Overnight:
- Take some tea tree oil and soak a cotton ball in it.
- Dab the cotton ball on the infected area.
- Do this method few times a day until the boil is treated.
- Another method, take a bowl of warm water and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it. You can also add a little lavender oil to it. Soak a cloth in this solution and apply it on the affected skin for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this method many times a day.
4.) Epsom Salt to Heal a Boil Fast
Epsom salt is one of the best home remedies to drain out the bacteria and it helps to bring a boil to the head. It is also a strong absorbent that helps to remove out the toxins and impurities from the skin.
Steps to Use Epsom Salt to Get Relief from a Boil Fast:
- Take 2 cups of warm water and dissolve ¼ cup of Epsom salt in it.
- Soak a clean washcloth into this solution and apply it to your boil.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and then repeat it a few times a day until the boil is healed.
- Alternate method, fill your bathtub with warm water and add a cup of Epsom salt to it. Do it for 20 minutes daily for some days.
5.) Turmeric to Get Rid of a Boil Fast and Naturally
Turmeric is the best natural home remedy to speed up the healing process of a boil as it contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Turmeric contains curcumin compound which helps to relieve pain.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Heal a Boil Naturally:
- Add some turmeric powder to enough water to make a paste. Apply this paste on the boil and leave it for 30 minutes before washing it off. Repeat it a few times a day. This method helps the boil to come with a burst and head within a few days.
- You can also add half tsp to one tsp of turmeric powder to a glass of milk and then boil it. Drink this milk to get relief from the pain and inflammation which is caused by the boil.
6.) Onion to Treat a Boil Fast
Onion is well-known for its antiseptic properties that help to fight skin infection and heal the boil fast. The onion juice acts as an irritant and antimicrobial agent that helps to treat the infected area. It also reduces inflammation and pain.
Steps to Use Onion to Heal a Boil at Home:
- Take an onion and cut it into thick slices.
- Now place the onion slices on the boil and cover it with a cloth.
- Replace the onion slices in every 2 to 3 hours until the boil is healed.
7.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of a Boil Fast
Using apple cider vinegar is the best for treating a boil. It works as a natural antiseptic that help to fight skin infections.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Prevent Boil:
- Dilute some ACV with water and apply it on the boil with the help of a cotton pad.
- Repeat it many times a day until the boil drains.
- You can also mix ACV and honey in equal proportion and apply it on the infected area. Keep it for 20 minutes and then wash the area with lukewarm water. Repeat it at least 2 times a day for some days.
8.) Cornmeal to Treat a Boil Fast and Naturally
Cornmeal works great for treating a boil quickly. Due to having absorptive properties in cornmeal it helps to heal boil fast.
Steps to Use Cornmeal to Cure a Boil Fast:
- Make a thick paste by mixing a tsp of cornmeal with enough hot water.
- Apply this paste on the boil and cover it with a cloth.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and then repeat it many times a day until the pus drains out.
9.) Milk Cream for Boil Treatment
Milk cream is an excellent remedy for boils. It softens the boil surface so that the head breaks and pus drain out. You can also use milk cream to treat an inner thigh boil.
Steps to Use Milk Cream to Treat a Boil Naturally:
- Take some fresh milk cream and apply it on the boil.
- Leave the cream for half an hour.
- Repeat it a few times a day for some days until you get relief from pain.
10.) Garlic to Get Rid of a Boil Naturally and Fast
Garlic is one of the best home remedies for treating a boil. The natural antibacterial properties in garlic helps to ripen the boil and the pus drain out.
Steps to Use Garlic to Treat a Boil at Home:
- Crush 2 to 3 garlic cloves and extract the juice from it.
- Apply the juice on the boil with the help of cotton pad.
- Leave it for a few minutes.
- Apply it once or twice a day daily.
Additional Tips to Prevent Boil:
- Wash your hands daily to prevent the bacteria from spreading.
- Keep your clothes, towels clean and dirt free.
- Don’t squeeze a boil as it may cause pain.
- Always use antibacterial soap for bathing.
- Maintain your hygiene.
- Avoid sugar and fat rich foods like chocolates, cakes and bread.
- Avoid caffeine products as they may worsen your condition.