How to use home remedies to cure cough at home? The cough is a very common problem, which plagues us almost at some point of time during the year. It is often caused by some kind of chemical or mechanical irritation in the larynx, bronchi or pharynx. It can also be a side effect of problems related to sinus or tonsils. Whatever, may be the cause, it is an extremely uncomfortable feeling, which affects the entire system.
Cough can be of two different types. Dry and wet. Wet cough generally has mucus build up, which tends to come up while coughing. Wet coughs are caused by cold weather. On the other hand, dry cough is a result of some irritation at the end of the throat, which is caused by smoke or dust allergies.
Causes of Cough:
Cough can be caused by multiple factors. Some are serious like a serious illness, while others are not so serious like a pollen or dust allergy. Both types of cases are listed below.
Dust or pollen allergy- Dust or pollen allergy is one of the most frequent and potent causes of coughing. Dust gets into the lungs and causes irritation and hampers the normal process of inhalation, which thereby leads to coughing.
Cold or flu- Another very common cause of cough is common cold or flu, which is a virus attack on the body. The virus causes inflammation of the back of the throat and nose secretions. The common cold can be cured by paracetamol or by using some effective home remedies.
Smoking- Smoking is one of the main reasons behind coughing. The inner lining of our lungs is coated with tiny hair like stuffs known as cilia. Their main function is to prevent the toxins from entering the lungs. Regular smoking damages the cilia, thereby pushing the toxins directly into the lungs, which is the cause reason behind coughing.
Asthma- Cough can be a result of an asthma attack, where the air passages narrows down, making it difficult for the air to pass, which results in coughing.
Blockage in the food or air pipe. – Coughing occurs, when there is a blockage in the windpipe or food pipe. When we eat food hurriedly, the food tends to get stuck in the way, thereby resulting in severe coughing.
Acid reflux. – Acid reflux patients, tends to suffer from chronic coughing. The acid from the stomach, tends to make the lining of the larynx weak thereby making it prone to inflammation, which causes coughing. It is a type of nonproductive cough, and tends to occur, after a heavy meal, or while sitting in an upright position.
Underlying disease. – Unfortunately coughing can be an early sign of certain medical emergencies like pulmonary arrest, lung cancer, tuberculosis, bird flu etc.
Tonsil- Inflammation of the tonsil gland at the far back end of the throat, causes coughing. Tonsil inflammation is caused commonly by virus attacks and can be very painful.
Home Remedies For Cough (Cure Cough at Home)
There are many over the counter allopathic medicines available in the market, ranging from lozenges to syrup for treating cough. However, there are some simple home remedies, which can be utilized for treating cough effectively, without any side effects.
1.) Lemon to Cure Cough at Home
This is a very easy and effective remedy, which can be used for treating cough.
- Take a lemon and cut it into two equal halves.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the lemon.
- Suck on that piece, from time to time to get quick relief from cough.
2.) Honey and Grape Juice to Cure Cough at Home
Honey has an antibacterial property, which can help a lot to fight the virus and bacteria build up. Grapes on the other hand, will provide relief, by providing the required amount of anti-oxidant in the body.
- Measure approximately 100 grams of grapes.
- Clean them and add them in a juicer.
- Pour the juice in a glass and add one teaspoon of honey to it.
- Stir the juice and drink it.
- Repeat this procedure several times in a day for better results.
3.) Onion and Honey Juice
- Take a piece of onion and slice it into small pieces.
- Place it in a mixture and extract the juices.
- Pour the juice in a glass and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Mix both the ingredient by stirring vigorously.
- Drink the juice before bedtime.
- This juice is expected to provide relief from dry cough related problems.
4.) Couscous and Coconut Milk to Cure Cough at Home
- Measure a few spoons of coconut milk in a glass.
- Add half a teaspoon of Couscous to the milk.
- Add approximately one tablespoon of honey.
- Combine, all the three ingredients, with the help of a little water.
- Drink this mixture to get relief from dry cough.
5.) Ginger Juice and Honey to Cure Cough at Home
- There are two ways of preparing this recipe.
- Take a few slices of ginger.
- Crush them and add them to a glass of boiling water.
- Turn down the heat and allow it to steep for a couple of minutes.
- Strain the juice and add add a spoonful of honey to it.
Alternatively, you can make ginger juice by grinding a few pieces of ginger in a blender with water.
- Separate the pulp from the water.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to the juice and sip it at regular intervals.
6.) Raisin Sauce to Cure Cough at Home
- Take 100 grams of raisins and clean them thoroughly.
- Crush these raisins and boil them in 100 grams of water.
- Add 100 grams of sugar to the mixture and allow it to simmer.
- Once the mixture reaches a sauce like consistency, remove it from heat and allow it to cool.
- Transfer it to a clean glass jar.
- Consume 20 grams of this sauce, every day at bedtime to get relief from cough.
7.) Basil Juice, Honey and Garlic to Cure Cough at Home
- All the three ingredients are a powerhouse of anti-bacterial agents, which can provide relief from severe cough.
- Take a bunch of basil leaves.
- Crush and blend them in a blender with some water.
- Extract the juice and discard the pulp.
- Repeat the procedure with garlic.
- Extract the juice from the garlic pulp.
- Mix both these juices and add a tablespoon of honey to it.
- Combine the three ingredients and drink the juice immediately after preparation.
- This juice is very effective for curing severe cough.
8.) Bettle Leaves to Cure Cough at Home
- Take few bettle leaves and clean them thoroughly.
- With the help of some water, make a fine paste, using the grinder.
- Apply this paste externally on the chest to get relief from dry cough.
9.) Fenugreek Seeds to Cure Cough at Home
Fenugreek seeds have anti- bacterial properties and can help to reduce the inflammation in the throat.
- Take a glass of water and place it on the heat.
- Add a handful of fenugreek seeds to this water.
- Allow the seeds to boil in the water for a couple of minutes.
- Strain the water and allow it to sit for a couple of minutes.
- Use this water to gargle twice in a day to get relief from cough.
10.) Salt Gargles to Cure Cough at Home
In case you don’t have anything at hand, just try gargling with salt water.
- Pour a glass of water in a pan.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add a spoonful of salt in it.
- When the temperature is bearable, use it to gargle.
- Salt water has a tendency to such out the water, from the inflamed portion of the throat, thereby killing the germs.
11.) Turmeric Root Powder to Cure Cough at Home
- Take some organic turmeric roots.
- Cut it into small pieces and allow it to dry in the sun.
- Grind the dried roots in the grinder to obtain the powder.
- Take a teaspoon of the turmeric powder.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and consume it like a syrup.
- The anti inflammatory property of turmeric and honey will provide relief from the pain.
12.) Sage Leaves to Cure Cough at Home
Gargling with sage leaves is as beneficial as gargling with salt water. Sage will help to reduce the inflammation, and soothe the throat.
- Boil a few sage leaves in water.
- Strain the water and use that water to gargle at least twice in a day.
- Repeat the process for at least a week to notice, significant changes.
13.) Tea to Cure Cough at Home
Drink herbal tea or green tea several times in a day to get relief from cough. You can substitute tea with a glass of warm milk before bedtime.
14.) Apple to Cure Cough at Home
In case you are suffering from a dry cough, try eating an apple every day to get rid of it.
15.) Cinnamon, Lemon and Honey Mixture to Cure Cough at Home
- Take 100gms of cinnamon.
- Grind it in a mixer and obtain the powder.
- Take one spoon of this powder and add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in it.
- Add the one teaspoon of honey into it.
- Drink this mixture like a syrup, several times in a day to get relief from cough.
16.) Brandy and Honey to Cure Cough at Home
- This method is not suited for small children, and should only be used, by adults. In it.
- Take a glass and fill it half way with brandy.
- Add one teaspoon of honey in it.
- Drink It before going to bed.
- This will keep your body warm, and dilate the blood vessels, thereby reducing coughing.
17.) Jaggery and Peppercorns to Cure Cough at Home
This remedy, will help to reduce the congestion build up in the chest region and provide relief from cough.
- Take a few peppercorns and add it to a glass of water.
- Let the water and peppercorns, boil for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
- After straining the water, add one tablespoon of jaggery and a little cumin to it.
- Drink the mixture, when it is still sufficiently warm.
18.) Garlic and Butter to Cure Cough at Home
Garlic is anti-microbial agent, which helps to provide relief from severe coughing in a big way.
- Pell a few cloves of garlic.
- Crush them and sauté them in butter or ghee.
- Eat them directly, or you can add these garlic to your soups or regular dishes.
- Consuming garlic, will not only provide you relief from frequent bouts of coughing, but will also strengthen your immune system.
19.) Sleep in an Elevated Position to Cure Cough at Home
Try sleeping with a pillow, keeping your head elevated from the rest of the body. This will prevent the mucus from dripping from the nose to the throat. This will prevent coughing and ensure you have a good, uninterrupted sleep.
Other Useful Tips to Prevent Cough:
1.) Keep yourself hydrated to prevent cough. The more water you drink, the more hydrated your throat will remain, which will prevent the irritation in the lungs and prevent coughing.
2.) Drink hot beverages without sugar, instead of cold beverages for better control over your cough.
3.) Quit smoking- This is one major reason behind all chronic cough related problems. Quitting the smoking habit, will help a person to fight the external toxin from gaining access into our lungs.
4.) Stay warm- don’t venture out in cold climatic conditions, without adequate clothing. Avoid dust indoors or outdoors to prevent allergy attacks.
5.) Use an air purifier to protect yourself from the germs.
6.) Maintain hygiene- Wash your hands properly, before drinking or eating any food. It will prevent the germs from spreading and also provide you with sufficient protection from attacks of cold, flu or cough.
7.) Get plenty of sleep, which is important to strengthen the immune system of our body.
8.) Avoid using fragrant perfumes – The strong fragrance may affect the nasal passages and intensify the coughing problem.
9.) Avoid eating foods like pickles, chocolates, cakes, curd and other sugary foods which can enhance the irritation in the lungs and aggravate it.
10.) Lastly Get a flu shot every year, to prevent the attack of fever, influenza and cough.
Always bear in mind, that coughing is usually not a serious illness, rather, it is a prelude to some kind of serious illness, which might be plaguing the system. If your cough does not go away, even after trying out all, the home remedies, then seek help from a professional.