When you sit accidentally on the chewing gum then it becomes a stress trigger but that doesn’t mean it will end your garment. Though the taste of gum is good but it can be a pain when it sticks to your unexpected places like on the hair, bottom of your shoe or your clothing. Chewing gum is an evil glue that sticks on the fabric of your clothes and refuses to let go. Chewing gum is very sticky and it gets attached to the fabric and makes it difficult to remove. But now removing chewing gum from clothes is not a difficult task. Instead of throwing clothes try different approaches that will help you to get gum out of clothes. Read this article and get some useful tips to remove gum from clothes.
Best Methods to Get Gum Out of Clothes:
1.) Freezing to Get Rid of Gum from Clothes
- Fold the fabric small enough so that it can fit into a plastic bag. Don’t spread the gum to other parts of the fabric. The face of the gum should be outward.
- Now place the clothes in the plastic bag and seal the bag.
- Place this bag in the freezer for several hours. The gum becomes hard and makes it easier to remove.
- Once the gum is hard, remove the bag from the freezer. Take out the clothing from the bag.
- Peel or scrape the gum from the clothing immediately. Use a paint scraper or butter knife to remove the gum.
2.) Hot Liquid to Remove Gum From Clothes Fast
- Hot Water- Put the area affected by gum in very hot water and soak it for a few minutes. Hold the clothing under warm water and scrape off the gum with the help of a toothbrush or sharp knife.
- Steam- Boil some water in a kettle and place the area affected by the gum at the mouth of a kettle. Let the gum absorb the steam before scraping it.
- Hot Vinegar- Warm some vinegar and soak the clothing in it. Now scrub a toothbrush over the affected area until the gum loosens. You need to continue to dip the clothing in the vinegar many times.
3.) Ironing to Get Gum Out of Clothes
Applying heat on the gum helps to dissolve the gum and it will be easy to remove it from clothes.
- Take a piece of cardboard and place the gum face down on it. The cardboard should be on an ironing board to avoid burning surface under the cardboard.
- Now put the iron on medium heat. Iron will loosen the gum without melting it completely.
- Run the iron on the clothing but not on the gum. The fabric of the clothing acts as a barrier between the iron and the gum.
- The gum takes several minutes to heat up completely. So run the iron until the gum sticks to the cardboard.
- Pull off the gum from clothing along with the cardboard. If the gum does not come out then continue to iron the clothing.
4.) Peanut Butter to Get Chewing Gum of Clothes
Peanut butter is one of the best home remedies for removing gum from clothes.
- Coat the gum with peanut butter. The oil in the peanut butter helps to loosen the gum from your clothes.
- Let the peanut butter to sit for a minute.
- Use a paint scraper to scrape the gum from clothes.
- After using this method, wash the clothing with a stain remover or heavy laundry detergent immediately.
5.) Rubbing Alcohol to Remove Chewing Gum from Clothes
Rubbing alcohol is one of the best ways to get gum out of clothes.
- Rubbing alcohol will not remove colors or stain from fabrics.
- Take a sponge and pour a little amount of rubbing alcohol on it.
- Use a sponge to rub the gum and wait for a few minutes for alcohol to take effect.
- Remove the gum with a spatula or wooden sponge.
- Now soak the affected area with scented fabric softener and then wash it with soap and water.
- Rinse and dry the clothing.
6.) Label Remover to Get Gum Out of Clothes
Using label remover you can remove chewing gum from clothes.
- Use a Servisol label remover 130 and spray the affected area.
- Leave this spray for a minute as this adhesive remover will take the time to work.
- Brush out the gum with a fine brass wire brush.
- Now add some soap to the affected area and wash out the label remover.
7.) Liquid Laundry Soap to Get Chewing Gum off Clothes
Liquid laundry soap helps to get bubble gum out of clothes.
- Use liquid laundry soap to cover the area affected by gum.
- Rub the toothbrush to work the laundry soap into the gum as it helps to break it up.
- Gently scrape the gum with a blunt knife.
- Scrape the remaining gum from the fabric with your fingernail.
- Wash the garment in the washing machine.
8.) Hair Spray to Remove Gum from Clothes
Hair spray is not only used for hair but it is also used for removing gum from clothes.
- Spray a small amount of hair spray on the gum as it will harden the gum.
- Immediately scrape the gum as the hardened gum will break off easily.
- Continue until all the gum is removed as wash it.
9.) Duct Tape to Get Out of Gum from Clothes
Using duct tape you can easily remove the gum from clothes.
- Take a duct tape roll and cut a strip of it.
- With the help of this strip cover all the gum’s area.
- Now peel off taped area and remove the gum from duct tape.
- Repeat this method until it is removed completely.
10.) Lanacane Method to Get Chewing Gum off Clothes
Lanacane contains Isobutane, Glycol, Ethanol and Acetate that helps to speed up the release of the gum.
- Remove the gum as much as possible.
- Buy lanacane from any drug store or grocery stores.
- Apply some lanacane on the gum and wait for 30 seconds.
- Use a blunt knife to scrape the gum.
- Wash it as usual.
Additional Tips to Get Gum Out of Clothes:
- You can rub an ice-cube on the gum to freeze .
- Use orange oil to remove the gum from clothes.
- You can use gasoline or petrol to get out of gum from clothes. It will dissolve the gum.
- You can use a butter knife, paint scraper or any other blunt metal scraping tool to remove the gum.
- Remove the gum from the clothing as much as possible after it gets attached.
- Use a firm brush for scrubbing the area affected by the gum.