When it comes to pest problem, not everyone knows about the ways to get rid of ants in the house. Having ants outside doesn’t bother you, but when you see in your house then it creates problems. Ants know several ways to get into your house like in holes, crevices in the ceiling, attic, basement, floor and foundation. Ants enter in your house for searching food. There are a huge variety of ants that get inside and among them are sugar, black and carpenter bees. If ants sting you then it may result in pain, redness and swelling. If you want to get rid of ants then you need to find their nest first. After getting their nest you can easily remove ants from your house.
Best Methods to Get Rid of Ants in the House:
1.) Borax to Kill Ants Fast
Borax is one of the best home remedies for killing ants fast. Borax is toxic to ants and helps to rid them from your house. Ants are attracted by the borax and when digested then it will kill them.
Steps to Use Borax to Get Rid of Ants at Home:
- Take food jelly and borax in equal proportions and mix them well.
- Place this mixture on a flat plate in the areas where the ants usually come.
- An alternate method, take one part of borax and 3 parts of sugar and mix them well.
- Make a paste by adding enough water to it. Put this paste in the infested areas.
- Another method is to prepare a paste by mixing equal amounts of cornmeal, borax and a few drops of water. Spread this solution where you see the ants.
2.) Soapy Water to Get Rid of Ants Fast
Soapy water will help to kill the ants and will destroy their chemical trail. This method is very cheap and easy to access.
Steps to Use Soap Water to Remove Ants:
- Put 1 tsp of liquid dish soap into a spray bottle and then fill it with water.
- When you see the ants, spray this solution on them.
- You can also add mint oil or citrus rind oil to water.
3.) Cinnamon to Remove Ants from Your House
Cinnamon is the best ant repellent. Its smell discourages ants from entering into your house and kitchen.
Steps to Use Cinnamon to Get Rid of Ants Fast:
- Take a cup of water and add half tsp of cinnamon essential oil to it.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in this solution and wipe the areas where ants can enter into the house.
- You can also place cloves and ground cinnamon near the entry points.
- Ants will not come near the cinnamon and cloves.
4.) Food-Grade Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Ants Fast
Food grade diatomaceous earth is the best home remedy and works great as an ant repellent. Diatomaceous earth helps to treat ant infestations.
Steps to Use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth to Prevent Ants:
- You need to sprinkle a thin layer of diatomaceous earth under cabinets, on windowsills, beneath the fridge and around the garbage cans. You can also sprinkle it in any other places where the ants usually come.
- Repeat this method daily until all the ants are gone.
5.) Peppermint to Get Rid of Ants in the House
Peppermint is the best natural insect repellent that can help to keep ants away. Ants don’t like the smell of peppermint and it also disrupts their smelling capabilities so they cannot find food sources.
Steps to Use Peppermint to Treat Ant Infestations Naturally:
- Take 1 cup of water and add 10 drops of peppermint essential oil to it.
- Now spray this solution to the infested areas where ants are present.
- Repeat this remedy twice daily until the ants are gone.
- You can also sprinkle some dried peppermint around your entryways, doors and garbage areas.
6.) White Vinegar to Prevent Ants Fast
White vinegar is best to keep the ants away. Ants cannot bear the strong smell of vinegar. The smell of vinegar helps to distract them.
Steps to Use White Vinegar to Get Rid of Ants Overnight:
- Take water and white vinegar in equal proportions and mix them well.
- Fill this solution into the spray bottle.
- Now add a few drops of essential oil to this bottle and shake it well.
- Spray this solution around entry points and baseboards.
- After 30 minutes, use a damp paper towel to wipe the ants.
- Repeat this method once daily until the ants are gone.
7.) Lemon to Eliminate Ants Naturally and Fast
Lemon is one of the effective home remedies for killing ants. Use lemon to make your house ant-proof. The smell of the lemon deters ants.
Steps to Use Lemon to Get Rid of Ants in the House:
- Extract the lemon juice from a lemon and rub it on windowsills, thresholds and other areas where the ants usually come.
- Another method is to dab a cotton ball in a few drops of lemon essential oil and put them in cabinets and other areas.
- You can also place small slices of lemon peel around the entry points.
8.) Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of Ants in the House
Cayenne pepper also works great as an ant repellent. The strong smell of the cayenne pepper destroys the chemical signal of ants due to which they search food. Without a signal ants cannot survive and thus they look new places.
Steps to Use Cayenne Pepper to Kill Ants Fast and Naturally:
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper powder in some areas where you see the ants.
- You can also mix turmeric powder and cayenne pepper in equal proportions.
- Sprinkle this mixture to the access points to make a barrier of ants.
9.) Cucumber Peel to Kill Ants at Home
Cucumber peel is the best remedy for getting rid of ants. Ants do not like the taste of cucumber peel. Bitter cucumber works great, but you can also use normal cucumber.
Steps to Use Cucumber to Prevent Ants Fast:
- Take a cucumber and peel it.
- Place the peel in all the areas where you see the ants.
- Replace the old peels with fresh peels daily.
- Repeat this method as needed until the ants are killed.
10.) Clove Essential Oil to Get Rid of Ants in the House
Clove oil is one of the best home remedies for killing ants in the house. There is a compound in clove oil which is known as Eugenol. It is a great insecticide which is effective for a wide variety of household pests such as flies, cockroaches, ants, spiders, wasps, flies, dust mites, fleas and crickets.
Steps to Use Clove Oil to Eliminate Ants Fast and Naturally:
- Apply the clove oil in infested areas with a cotton ball.
- You can also mix any other oil in clove oil and apply it to the entry points.
- Apply it daily to get rid of ants effectively.
Additional Tips to Prevent Ants from Infestation:
- Always keep your house clean and cover your food sources tightly.
- Sweep the floor after having meal as the food sources attract ants.
- Take the trash out daily.
- Keep the trash cans away from your house.
- Don’t allow moisture to build up on counters and other surfaces as ants keep looking for water.
- Close off the entrances where the ants can come.